A. The Seriousness of Anger
1. It is one of the sins hindering inheritance into the Kingdom of God (Gal 5:19-21)
2. It tops the list of the deeds of the "old man" (Col 3:8,9)
3. It is opposed to the working of the righteousness of God (Js 1:20)
4. It grieves the Holy Spirit (Eph 4:30,31)
5. It is cursed (Gen 49:6,7)
6. A-N-G-E-R is just one letter short of D-A-N-G-E-R!
B. Causes of Anger
1. Foolishness in the heart
"Do not hasten in your spirit to be angry, for anger rests in the bosom of fools"
(Eccl 7:9; Prov 14:17)
2. Pride and Prestige
Examples: Naaman (2 Ki 5:11,12)
Jonah (Jon 4:1-4)
Examples: Cain with Abel (Gen 4:5,6)
Saul with David (1 Sam 18:8,9)
Ten disciples with the other two (Mt 20:20-24)
4. Lack of Discretion
"The discretion of a man makes him slow to anger, and it is to his glory to overlook
a transgression" (Prov 19:11)
5. Failure to understand the forgiving love of God on others.
Example: The elder brother (Lk 15:27,28)
C. Examples of Punishment for Anger
1. Moses ó Entrance into the Promised Land refused (Num 20:10-12)
2. King Uzziah ó Struck with leprosy (2 Chron 26:17-20)
D. If you get angry...
1. Hold it not for long!
"Be angry, and do not sin. Do not let the sun go down on your wrath" (Eph 4:26)
2. Remember even Godís righteous anger is very temporary!
"His anger is but for a moment" (Psa 30:5)
"Nor will I always be angry" (Isa 57:16)
3. Restitute the matter with the person concerned immediately, if it is without a
reasonable cause (Mt 5:21-24)
E. A golden rule
"Be swift to hear,
Slow to speak,
Slow to wrath!" (Js 1:19)